Where is the best sailing in New England?
Many among us would say, it's aboard a classic wooden boat sailing along
the coast. New England has a wonderful tradition of boat building.
This combination of wood and canvas, crafted with a love of the ocean,
may be one of the most impressive of all human creations.
Join us... as we look at how much they have to offer.
Just bring your spirit of adventure,
we provide a guide to the wind, water and great destinations.
New England Schooner Cruises
- Plan a New England Cruise and escape on the deck of an authentic wooden schooner. We take you to our most magnificent harbors.
- Discover a great get-a-way in New England. Small boats carry us
to some of the best out-of-the-way places.
- Our Maritime Museums hold a wealth of antique boats and nautical treasure. Join in with the events and on-the-water activities.
Boat Building Plans
Small sailboats built to traditional design present some great choices.
These boats are worth as much now as ever...their owners will tell you.
Boat building plans with several fine examples are shown in our gallery.
Small craft just get used and enjoyed more. Their tradition as small fishing boats called for simple and efficient rigging. We can trailer to just about anywhere and their shoal draft gives us all-around access.
- New England Wooden Boat Gallery
- Traditional wooden boats for sail and oar with work featured in our Wooden Boat Gallery by local boat builders. Access to boat plans.
- New England Maritime Museums
- Want to get out on the water? From small craft boat building to large historic restoration projects, our New England Maritime Museums hold a wealth of nautical treasure.
- The 2007 Gloucester Schooner Festival
- Tall Ships and Schooners under sail at the Gloucester Schooner Festival
- Wooden Boat Building in New England
- Boat building plans and sailboat designs from builders. The great tradition of wooden boat building in New England..
- Small Sailboats
- Designs for building small sailboats using traditional and glued lapstrake construction. Sensible plans for sail and oar.
- The Lapstrake Sailing Canoe
- Modern and antique versions of the Macgregor Sailing Canoe
- New England Cruises
- Traditional schooners provide New England cruises and charters for an authentic sailing experience along the coast.
- Caledonia Yawl
- The Caledonia Yawl and Ness Yawls designed by Iain Oughtred, fine and able small sailboats, are inspired by the Shetland Yoles of Scotland
- Jersey Beach Skiff, Traditional Sailing Skiffs
- Built from boat building plans held in the archives of the Smithsonian Institution, the Jersey Beach Skiff is a trailerable small sailboat.
- Building the Ness Yawl
- The Ness Yawl, a boat design inspired by the Shetland Yoals
- Nat Herreshoff's Coquina
- The elegant reproduction of the 1889 Nat Hereshoff Cat Yawl Coquina
- Wooden Boat Events
- 2008 New England wooden boat events, boat shows and boat building workshops.
- New England Weather and Tides
- How's the weather in New England? Links to graphic New England weather charts,tides charts and web cams
- New England Wooden Boat Gallery Invitation
- A call to wooden boat owners! Post a story and photos. Join our New England Wooden Boat Gallery.
- Contact Us
- Comments or questions are welcome
- Sailing Camp in New England
- Youth sailing classes and sailing camp programs in New England teach seamanship and teamwork.
- Visitors Gallery
- Wooden boat images and boat building posted to our visitors gallery.